The County Museum of Gävleborg
About the Museum
The County Museum of Gävleborg encompasses both the provinces of Gästrikland and Hälsingland and we have the whole county as our workplace. We work with cultural history, art, building and landscape conservation, archaeology, and with various cultural projects in the county’s municipalities. The museum itself is located on Södra Strandgatan in Gävle.
The Rettig family owned a tobacco factory and ran a shipyard and a shipping company in Gävle in the 19th century. The museum’s history began in 1933 when Antonie Rettig, married into the family, died, bequeathing “John and Antonie Rettig’s Museum Fund to the city of Gävle”.
The donation was for a large amount of money, worth several million in today’s currency, and financed the building of the museum. Designed by the municipal architect, Sven Wranér, the building was completed in 1940 and was called the Gävle Museum. In accordance with the donors’ wishes, Antonie Rettig’s sister’s mansion in Copenhagen served as the architectural model. The donation also included around one thousand art and crafts objects, which provided the foundation for the museum’s collection.
The museum has one of Sweden’s finest Collections of Swedish art and over 2000 square meters’ exhibition space. The exhibitions are used for pedagogical purposes when we give guided tours and viewings, workshops and diverse programme activities.
The museum also offers a wide spectrum of temporary exhibitions. The largest exhibition space for temporary exhibitions is on the ground floor.